[texhax] Syriac typesetting?

Chuck Shunk tug at firstphilosophy.net
Tue Jun 15 20:21:51 CEST 2004

Hello everyone,

I've been a casual user of TeX for a while and a lurker on this list for
some time.  I've used LaTeX to write design documents at work, but
that's about it.  This fall, I'm leaving my programming job to go back
to school and get a doctorate in Semitic Languages and Literature,
specializing in Syriac.  Consequently, I'm interested in using TeX to
write papers in English but incorporating several other alphabets:
primarily Syriac, but Hebrew, Coptic and Arabic could conceivably all be
combined in one paper as well.

My question: is this currently possible with TeX?  Based on my research,
there used to be a nice looking package called Sabra for Syriac
typesetting, but I haven't been able to find a recent copy and it was
supposed to be replaced by Omega anyway.  Does anyone know if Omega has
in fact succeeded in duplicating Sabra's functionality?  I've used the
Omega-based Makor2 package for Hebrew and liked it, but I'm dashed if I
can figure out how to make Syriac work.

I am also aware that Omega 2 is scheduled to be released this fall,
right around when I go back to school.  Does anyone know where I can get
more advance information about the capabilities they've been able to
work into this second release?  It would be nice to know I have a system
to write my papers with before I actually get immersed in the schoolwork
. . .

Thanks to anyone who can help me out here!

Chuck Shunk