[texhax] How to add text to existing ps figure file

Herbert Gintis hgintis at comcast.net
Tue Jul 20 13:39:52 CEST 2004

There is a rather straightforward way to add text to an .eps figure. Here
is an example, using psfig:

\begin{document}
\begin{figure}[htb]
\begin{center}
\psfig{figure=bluff.eps,height=4.5in}
\vskip-4.5in
\begin{picture} (325,325)
\put(0,0){\circle*{5.20}}
\put(0,325){\circle*{5.20}}
\put(325,0){\circle*{5.20}}
\put(325,325){\circle*{5.20}}
\end{picture}
\vskip4.5in
\vskip-325pt
\caption{Average Contributions over Time}
\label{fgfig}
\end{center}
\end{figure}
\end{document}
Note that 325pt is approximately 4.5in.
I put four little circles near the four corners of the figure. I would
print this, then use the four circles to locate exactly where you want your
text, and then add the text and get rid of the circles.

Best,

HG

Herbert Gintis
External Faculty, Santa Fe
Institute
Emeritus Professor, University of Massachusetts
15 Forbes Avenue, Northampton, MA 01060
413-586-7756  (Home Office) 206-984-9873 (Fax)
Recent papers are posted on my <http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~gintis>web site.
Get Game Theory Evolving (Princeton, 2000) at
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0691009430/qid=1057311870/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-8882889-4632849?v=glance&s=books>Amazon.com
Look for Moral Sentiments and Material Interests,
Quote of the week:
      The philosophers kick up the dust and then complain they cannot see.
       Bishop Berkeley, A Treatise Concerning Human Knowledge