[texhax] Hyphenation word with accent.

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jan 30 14:38:21 CET 2004

> If I add a word to hyphenation with an accent I get an error. How can I
> add one word to hyphenation with accent without problems?

it's always a good idea to say what the error actually is.  here's a
fanciful spanish example (i know neither spanish nor portuguese, i'm
afraid):

*\hyphenation{ma-\~na-na}
! Improper \hyphenation will be flushed.

however, if i say:

*\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
*\hyphenation{ma-\~na-na}
*\showhyphens{ma\~na-na}
Underfull \hbox (badness 10000) detected at line 0
[] \T1/cmr/m/n/10 ma-ña-na

i.e., activate T1 _before_ setting your hyphenation and all will be ok.
(note i activated babel spanish option to get \righthyphenmin=2).

there ought to be a faq answer for this error, especially since the
solution is so straightforward (in most cases).  there may be one in the
next edition ... if i can finish the job i'm already doing before then.