[texhax] book to buy?

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jan 21 23:55:59 CET 2004

> > That's what laptops and pen tablets are for --- I've got all the refs
> > Robin mentioned on my Fujitsu Stylistic and they're quite as easy to
> > read on it as on paper, and _much_ easier to store, carry and find.
>
> Well, I suppose that would work if money was not an issue, which it is.

pah!  money!  when the next revolution comes ...

> > > It appears to be somewhat difficult to get. I would very much like to
> > > learn more about the inner workings of (La)Tex. Are there other
> > > equally valuable sources you (or anyone else) can reccomend?
> >
> > Have you typeset source2e?
>
> I don't understand that! What is "source2e"? (I don't know much about
> latex.)

source2e is a thing in the latex distribution which formats to provide a
readable listing of the source, with comments where appropriate.

if you know enough tex (i.e., the basic primitives and what they do)
source2e is a very enlightening thing.  if you don't, or are easily
frightened, source2e is a pretty overwhelming object.

unless you're already a tex hacker, i would not really recommend
source2e.