[texhax] line spacing

Pierre MacKay mackay at cs.washington.edu
Thu Jan 15 00:26:54 CET 2004

I don't know how this is done in LaTeX, but if you can design some
zero-width rules that give you the required interline spacing (this assumes
that you want more, rather than less space somewhere in the paragraph) and
insert them at the right points, which you will determine by looking
at the line-breaks on a first run, you get the effect of adjustable
space in the bounds of a paragraph.  (\lineskip takes over, so you may
want to look at the values set for that.)  I used this technique
to insert Hieroglyphs and short runs of Arabic on several occasions.

The proportions of height to depth in such a rule (strut) are sometimes
surprising.  There is no very good way of automating the choice which
depends for visual effect on the relation between ascenders and descenders
in the underlying font.

Pierre MacKay