[texhax] Urgent Help Needed

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Feb 9 18:00:00 CET 2004

    Subject: [texhax] Urgent Help Needed

If it's so urgent, you have a lot of late nights ahead.

    I am working on developing a TeX compiler.

I hope you are aware of exactly how huge a task this is.  A project
measured in years.

    I would like to know the exact step by step details in the process
    of converson of a tex doccument to a dvi file.

Read tex.web + all the change files.  Oh, and the TeXbook, too.  For
starters.

    I want to know the external files accessed by the compiler.

There are literally thousands (potentially).  Fonts, macros,
configuration files, you name it.  Varies by implementation.

    Also does the latex.fmt directly uses the tex.fmt or not?

No.

Good luck,