[texhax] executables in miktex/bin directory

Frauke Jurgensen frauke at videotron.ca
Fri Dec 17 06:37:25 CET 2004

geolsoft at mail.ru wrote:

>On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 06:27:32AM -0300, afrank at ing.puc.cl wrote:
>
>>hello...
>>
>>my name is Alexander Frank, math graduate student
>>
>>I've installed the musixtex package following the instructions from the
>>warner icking page (the oficial site).... and I added a few executables
>>files to the miktex/bin directory...
>>

>Have you tried LilyPond (http://www.lilypond.org/)?  I've
>never used musixtex so I can't compare, but I've heard
>several times (from people who tried both) advices against
>musixtex in favor of LilyPond.
>

>Best regards,
>Oleg Katsitadze

I suppose it depends on what you want to do with it: I use musixtex
mainly for typesetting musical examples in papers, for which it is
exceedingly convenient, since I can just keep typing, and for
typesetting styles of notation that aren't available in mainstream music
notation software (such as Old German organ tablature, which has an
exceedingly small audience). The results are very beautiful, and (for
me) take less time than fighting with importing some foreign format. If
I were wanting to typeset large, normal-looking scores in a hurry, I'd
probably go for Lilypond, partly because Rosegarden exports to it (it
used to export to musictex, did it not?? I only just started using it),
and my MIDI keyboard likes Rosegarden. What sort of music are you
wanting to typeset?