[texhax] Cyrrilic in PDF bookmarks

geolsoft at mail.ru geolsoft at mail.ru
Sat Dec 4 20:55:28 CET 2004

On Sat, Nov 27, 2004 at 06:12:31PM +0200, Ivan Ivanov wrote:
> Dear Colleagues,
>
> I am using latex on Linux and I tried hyperref package with one latex
> document in bulgarian. All navigation works correctly except that pdf
> bookmarks are not displayed correctly. I am using hyperref in the
> following way:
> \usepackage[
>    unicode,
>    colorlinks=true,
>    naturalnames=true,
>    linkcolor=blue,
> ]{hyperref}
> and I than call pdflatex to my latex file. The bookmarks do not
> display the cyrrilic letters correctly, they only show dots. Could you
> please tell me how to do it so the bookmarks are displayed correctly?
>
> Reagrds Ivan

This is actually a problem with a PDF viewer, not with
hyperref package.  I think acroread for GNU/Linux (at least
version 5.0) does not support Cyrillic at all, but xpdf is
supposed to, although I failed when some time ago I tried to
make it display Cyrillic bookmarks.  If you have access to
an installation of acroread on MS Windows you can try and
open your PDF document there, it should display the Cyrillic
correctly.

By the way, you may get more feedback on your posts related
to Cyrillic and Russian if you post to CyrTeX-ru mailing
list, check out

  https://info.vsu.ru/Lists/CyrTeX-ru/List.html

Best regards,

Oleg Katsitadze