[texhax] problem with info command

Sebastian Luque sluque at mun.ca
Thu Aug 26 16:15:53 CEST 2004

Hi,

Thanks for your help so far narrowing this down. Here is a more complete
description of what I did in TeX-live's installation script (<return> omitted
for brevity):

sh install-tl.sh
S B					# to select the texlive-full scheme.
D 1 /usr/share/TeX		# to specify the $TEXDIR, which automatically.
					# set $TEXMFLOCAL=/usr/share/TeX/texmf-local.
					# and $VARTEXMF=/usr/share/TeX/texmf-var.
O L
/usr/bin
/usr/man
/usr/info				# to create the symlinks to the specified paths.
I					# to start the installation.

I subsequently added /usr/share/TeX/bin/i386-linux to my PATH variable
in /etc/profile.

TeX-live added the symlinks in the directories specified, and
now /usr/bin/info is a symlink to /usr/share/TeX/bin/i386-linux/info. So it
seems that TeX-live replaced my original info binary for that symlink, which
doesn't work in my system. Additionally, I no longer have an info directory
within Emacs, even though all the info files are there in /usr/info.

I followed Karl Berry's suggestion to reinstall the texinfo package, which I
did by uninstalling it first and then installing it again through apt.
However, I couldn't do the same with info. It uninstalled OK, but after
apt-get install info, I got the following message:

No `START-INFO-DIR-ENTRY' and no `This file documents'.
install-info(/usr/share/info/info-stnd.info): unable to determine description
for `dir' entry - giving up
dpkg: error processing info (--configure):
 info

[sigh], it looks like I'm again in need of some input. I know this is getting
a bit off-topic to texhax, but since it's related to TeX-live, I don't know
where else to turn to. Thank you.

Sebastian