[texhax] problem with info command

Randolph J. Herber herber at dcdrjh.fnal.gov
Thu Aug 26 16:48:25 CEST 2004

The following header lines retained to effect attribution:
>Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 01:06:50 -0400 (EDT)
>From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?BR=D8CK=E2QU=C2NTIFIER=2EORG?= <brock at quantifier.org>
>Subject: Re: [texhax] problem with info command
>To: Sebastian Luque <sluque at mun.ca>
>Cc: texhax at tug.org
>	<mailto:texhax-request at tug.org?subject=subscribe>

>brock at llamakc:~$ ls -l /usr/info
>lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 10 Mar 27 17:14 /usr/info -> share/info
>brock at llamakc:~$ ls -l /usr/man
>ls: /usr/man: No such file or directory
>brock at llamakc:~$ which man
>/usr/bin/man
>brock at llamakc:~$ ls -l /usr/bin/man
>lrwxr-xr-x  1 root root 17 Aug 23 17:22 /usr/bin/man -> ../lib/man-db/man
>brock at llamakc:~$

>i guess this is interesting.  I've never really looked at this before.  if
>it's looking for info at /usr/bin/info, just make a symlink to it.  do a

>which info

>to find out where it is (mine's at /usr/info which is a symlink to
>/usr/share/info, and so is yours, i gather), just do a

>ln -s /usr/share/info /usr/bin/info

>root will have to do this.  Oh, and i sometimes get the order backwards.
>i think this is right, but if it says it already exists, then switch em
>around (that's how I know, anyway).

>I hope this solves your problem

>bobby

	[SNIP]

	The order is simple to remember: think of it as a move (mv)
	or a copy (cp).  In many UNIX-like operating systems, mv, cp
	and ln are the same executable with several links (names).

	BTW, you probably want: ln -sf /usr/share/info /usr/bin/info
	assuming the executable is /usr/share/info and the new, desired
	name is /usr/bin/info.

Randolph J. Herber, herber at fnal.gov, +1 630 840 2966, CD/CDFTF PK-149F,
Mail Stop 318, Fermilab, Kirk & Pine Rds., PO Box 500, Batavia, IL 60510-0500,
USA.  (Speaking for myself and not for US, US DOE, FNAL nor URA.)  (Product,
trade, or service marks herein belong to their respective owners.)