[texhax] August 2004 TUG news: Imprimerie heritage, TUGboat, conferences

tug-news at tug.org tug-news at tug.org
Wed Aug 11 15:15:25 CEST 2004

Dear TeX user,

The latest installment of the TUG newsletter:

1) Please consider signing this petition to save the heritage of the
   French Imprimerie Nationale, the French government printing organization
   dating back centuries:
http://www.garamonpatrimoine.org/petition.html
   (click on the appropriate flag for translations).

   The TUG board supports this petition: part of TUG's charter is to
   preserve and further typography.  GUTenberg, the French-speaking TeX
   user group, is one of the originators of the petition.

2) TUGboat 24(1), containing the TUG 2003 proceedings, was shipped
   recently to TUG members for 2003.  If you were not a member then, you
   can order printed copies through the TUG store (http://tug.org/store/)
   or peruse it online: http://tug.org/TUGboat/Contents/contents24-1.html

3) Upcoming conferences:
   - TUG 2004 will take place in Xanthi, Greece, from August 30-September 3.
     You can now see the list of accepted papers and register for the
     conference online.
   http://tug.org/tug2004/

   - GuIT 2004, the first meeting of the Italian TeX User Group, will
     take place in Pisa, Italy, on October 9, 2004.
   http://www.guit.sssup.it/GuITmeeting/2004/2004.en.html

   - EuroTeX 2005 will take place in Pont-a-Mousson, France, from
     March 7-11, 2005, commemorating the 16th anniversary of the
     founding of both Dante and GUTenberg.  The deadline for initial
     paper submission with summary is September 1, 2004.
   http://www.gutenberg.eu.org/eurotex2005/

   - TUG 2005 will take place in Wuhan, China, from August 23-25, 2005,
     sponsored by the Chinese TeX User Group.
   http://tug.org/tug2005/

     If you would like to apply for financial support to attend TUG 2005,
     please see http://tug.org/bursary/ for information.

4) TeX Live for 2004 is still in development.  No release date is known
   at this time.   New members can choose to receive TeX Live 2003
   instead of or as well as TL2004 when they sign up, and of course
   TL2003 can be purchased on its own at any time (http://tug.org/store/).

5) We continue to welcome applications for funding of development of any
   aspect of the TeX system.

   Application form: http://tug.org/tc/devfund/application.html
   Funded projects: http://tug.org/tc/devfund/grants.html
   Some (large-scale) project ideas: http://tug.org/tc/devfund/criteria.html

Finally, in my capacity as TUG president, I am very happy to appoint
Steve Grathwohl as the newest member of the TUG Board of Directors.
Steve has worked with TeX for many years in his position at Duke
University Press.  Welcome, Steve!

As always, please don't hesitate to contact us (tug-news at tug.org) with
questions, suggestions, or information.

Best wishes,