[texhax] bmp to eps

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Aug 8 22:08:56 CEST 2004

    > Personally, I'd leave it as a bmp (which latex understands) or
    > convert to a png (which pdflatex understands), but I guess some
    > people/publishers insist on eps.

LaTeX does not understand any graphic format.  It just leaves enough
space for the graphic and writes the filename into the DVI file.

See http://tug.org/pipermail/texhax/2004-June/002250.html

It's up to the DVI to PostScript converter to insert the graphic
files and convert them to PostScript.  Be aware that not every DVI to
PostScript converter can read BMP files.

PdfTeX produces the PDF file directly.  Therefore it *must* include
the graphics.

Most publishers require "camera ready copies" which means either a
PostScript or PDF file or a lot of paper.  In this case it doesn't
matter how these files are produced and nobody will complain about the
BMP files.

Some publishers (like Springer) accept LaTeX source files.  In this
case I strongly recommend to ask the publisher what he needs.  You
probably find the information on the publisher's WEB site.

If you just want to produce PostScript *and* PDF don't care about
PostScript at all and use pdfTeX.  You can convert PDF to PS quite
easily using either the Acrobat Reader (print to file) or the program
pdftops which comes with TeXLive.

Good programs for producing PDF from bitmaps are ImageMagick and
sam2p.  See

	http://www.imagemagick.org
and
	http://www.inf.bme.hu/~pts/sam2p

And ask your publisher ASAP what he needs.  You can save a lot of time.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25