[texhax] How to accent Garcia?

Tom Schneider toms at ncifcrf.gov
Thu Apr 8 01:48:31 CEST 2004

Dear Texhaxers:

I have a reference that should have an accent over an i in 'Garcia'.
This form:

   Garc\'{i}a

works, but there is a dot on the i in addition to the accent.

The LaTeX book by Lamport on page 50 gives a solution: use \imath.
That is fine, but the i becomes math italic, which will not
do!

Ok, try to put it in an mbox:

{Garc\'{$\mbox{\imath}$}a de Abajo}

This fails because the imath is no longer in math mode.

The LaTeX FAQ has nothing about this that I could find:

http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?keyword=accent

Two other FAQs I list on my pages at
http://www.lecb.ncifcrf.gov/~toms/latex.html#latex.tex.resources
don't help either.

Web searches didn't help.

Anybody have an idea for this?

The reference is:

Phys. Rev. Lett. 90, 057401 (2003)
Optical Properties of Gold Nanorings
J. Aizpurua,1 P. Hanarp,2 D. S. Sutherland,2 M. Käll,2 Garnett W.
Bryant,1 and F. J. García de Abajo
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?CMD=search&DB=PubMed

(Amusingly, the cut and paste from the APS web site gave the unicode
character which shows up correctly for me on this terminal ...  LaTeX
does not - yet??? - accept this character.)

Regards to all,

Tom

  Dr. Thomas D. Schneider
  National Cancer Institute
  Laboratory of Experimental and Computational Biology
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  toms at ncifcrf.gov
  permanent email: toms at alum.mit.edu (use only if first address fails)
  http://www.lecb.ncifcrf.gov/~toms/