[texhax] BibTeX

Philip G. Ratcliffe philipratcliffe at tiscali.it
Fri Apr 2 10:39:12 CEST 2004

> In bibtex, i want to format my title as,
> "Contemporary Problems in Statistical Physics"
> i.e. first character of all the words in uppercase
> but { "" title "t" change.case$ * "" * } produces only the first
> character of the entire title.
> "Contemporary problems in statistical physics"
> please suggest me how to get my desired format.

The short answer is that BibTeX cannot do it; as you will have seen in
btxhak.dvi, the only choices are "t", "u" and "l".

The best approach is to write titles with the correct capitalisation in your
bib file, using {} to block anything that really must never ever change
(like acronyms).  Then, to get what you want, you don't need change.case$
and if some other style does use it (e.g., because a particular journal
requires "t") then it will still work properly.

Of course, with a lot of extra work(!), you could write a little BibTeX
macro that parses text strings and capitalises as you wish (but presumably
you don't want prepositions, articles etc. capitalised).

Cordialmente,  Philip G. Ratcliffe