[texhax] Isthis a bug in LaTex?

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Sep 18 17:38:59 CEST 2003

>     First, I want to thank the group for their responses. To answer your
> questions,
> I am using version 3.141592 of LaTeX from MikTeX. The MikTex version number
> is 2.3. The version of YAP that I am using is 0.99i.

quite modern enough.  not (as i said) i would think it's relevant.

>     The reason I am using \newline instead of \par is that until I say your
> e-mail
> that was the only way that I knew of to start a new paragraph.

:-(

actually, the simplest thing is just to leave a blank line, but \par
does the job.

i was afraid you were trying to leave blank lines in a paragraph
(\newline\newline isn't the way to do it).  \newline doesn't start a
new paragraph, actually: it just continues the old one at the left
margin, having introduced a "break" (which in your case had rather odd
side effects).

in your case, the paragraph isn't closed until the page gets emptied
in the command \end{document}.