[texhax] Simple question?

Manoj Kummini kummini at math.ukans.edu
Fri Sep 5 18:55:58 CEST 2003

On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 23:20:53hrs +0100, Robin Fairbairns wrote:

> > On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 18:56:02hrs +0530, Prof. Sudhir R. Ghorpade wrote:
> >
> > > I don't want to number some sections; so I use:
> > >    \section*{Secname}
> > > This works nicely and the section title "Secname" also
> > > appears in the Table of Contents with no number. However,
> > > in the headers for the pages, which usually alternate between
> > >   Chapter Name  and Section Name
> > > I get the name of the previous section (where * was not
> > > used) rather than Secname.
> > >
> > > How can I arrange "Secname" (without any number) to appear
> > > in the header without having to change \section* to \section?
> >
> > You can use a \markright{<whatever you want>} immediately after \section*,
> > or put them together into a \mysection.
>
> unfortunately, that doesn't work entirely satisfactorily (see
> discussion in http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=runheadtoobig)
> and i find the alternative rather tiresome.

If we use the method described in the above URL, will we get the solution
to the OP's question? If we use \sectionmark, it would print \thesection on
the header, which is unwanted. Further, \sectionmark is called by \@sect,
which is called by \section only and not by \section*. Therefore, if we use
\section*, there is no way of changing the header, unless we redefine
\sectionmark, or use \rightmark.

With regards,
Manoj.

--
Manoj Kummini
Graduate Student, Dept. of Mathematics, The Univ. of Kansas,