[texhax] easy update of teTeX on Linux?

Christopher W. Ryan cryan at binghamton.edu
Sun Oct 5 20:43:48 CEST 2003

I probably wasn't clear in my question.  I'm wondering not about getting
a new complete teTeX installation, but about adding functions that are
not part of teTeX.  That's what I meant by adding packages.

For example, "prosper" is a package that makes slides for projection. I
dont' seem to have prosper on my machine currently.  Is it an integral
part of teTeX that would arrive if I upgraded my current teTeX?  If not
, is there an easy way to get it and have it installed properly (on
MikTeX on Windows it is extremely easy.)

As another example, there are a whole host of .sty files out there.  If
I needed one that is not currently installed, is there a way to locate
it easily and install it?  Or would I have to download a .tar.gz file,
unzip/untar it, and then put all the pieces into the proper places manually?

Thanks.

--Chris