[texhax] Include online files when compiling

David Vannucci d.vannucci at ee.wits.ac.za
Thu Nov 6 15:30:11 CET 2003

Hello All,

I have got a little further thanks to Robin,

For my windows install,
Firstly I enabled the write18 command in \texmf\miktex\config\miktex.ini
Secondly I downloaded a copy of wget for windows from
http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx wget153.zip
Then I made a command as suggested,
\newcommand{\httpinput}[2]{\write18{wget #1#2} \write18{rename #2 #2.tex}
\input{#2.tex}}

and instead of
> > \include{http://wordsmith.org/awad/archives/0103}
now can use
\httpinput{http://wordsmith.org/awad/archives/}{0103}

The problems:
Firstly #2.tex does not exist before texing, input files are checked to
exist before comiling is done, so I have to precreate the file, not nice.

Secondly the file has to be renamed if no extension exists hence the reason
for rename #2 #2.tex

Thirdly the file could have non latex characters like & instead of \&
  so instead of a normal input I used a verbatim type input
\begin{alltt}\input{#2.tex}\end{alltt}, not what I had hoped for but getting
there.

This created another problem,
Fourthly the text may be too long for one line and should be wrapped, but
since I am using verbatim it does not get wrapped

Any comments/ideas?

David