[texhax] TeX to XML?

Radhakrishnan CV cvr at river-valley.org
Thu May 22 21:07:19 CEST 2003

On Thu, 22 May 2003, John W. Shipman wrote:

> I have a large number of documents written in Plain TeX
> with my own macros, and I need to translate them to
> DocBook XML.  So I need a framework that parses TeX
> and allows me to do translations like this:
>
>  *  Generate an XML start tag at the beginning of a
>     macro and the corresponding end tag at the end of
>     the macro
>
>  *  Replace TeX diacriticals with XML entities

You might have a look at TeX4ht which is designed to translate TeX to
HTML, however, it can output XML too.  You need to write a custom
configuration for TeX4ht where you can say how you want your commands to
be translated.  Diacrits to entities is trivial in TeX4ht.

Another candidate would be Omega, which has an MMLmode that would directly
write an XML file from your TeX sources. Again you need to customize it
with approrpirately written packages. That is not a hard job though.

Radhakrishnan