[texhax] Tex and Latex

Russell Shaw rjshaw at iprimus.com.au
Wed May 21 00:47:45 CEST 2003

tom sgouros wrote:
>  >On Tue, 20 May 2003 13:38:11 +1000, Russell Shaw wrote:
>

>>I'm writing a users/service manual and it doesn't fit into the
>>latex classes of book or report well. Is latex designed to be
>>easily adjusted so that i can change all the book-class numbering
>>and heading conventions for chapters/sections?
>
> You can do all this in LaTeX without too much pain.  And once you do
> it you'll never have to do it again, which is the good part.  You will
> want to write a document class of your own, called "service.cls", or
> whatever, based on whichever of the LaTeX classes is closest to yours,
> that contains all your own modifications to the usual styles.  If you
> want examples, you can look at top.gso.uri.edu/dods.html, down at the
> bottom, where I have classes adapted from LaTeX book and article, and
> where I changed the fonts, the heading styles, and the numbering
> conventions, among other things.

That looks promising. I also got a post on news:comp.text.tex
about the memoir class which is a replacement for the book/report
class. It seems to have the extra chapter/section heading options
i wanted. memman.pdf is a good read:

http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/supported/memoir/
thanks all.