[texhax] \begin{...}...\end{...} VS. its shorthands

Philip G. Ratcliffe philipratcliffe at tiscali.it
Fri May 16 15:04:59 CEST 2003

Sorry Robin!  I can't get used to using Reply All in this list, where a
simple Reply is sufficient in the others to which I subscribe.

Let me add to what Robin said (with which I wholeheartedly agree):

Unbridled shorthand makes co-authoring a nightmare, very easily leads to
conflicting macro definitions (I assume you only want to use a couple of
letters at most) and at best can really only save a minimal amount of time.

Learning to type properly (as with reading manuals) would probably better
benefit 99% of the scientific community.

Most non-basic editors (e.g., WinEdt) allow one to define and rapidly
include templates or even finish off automagically a \begin{environment}
with the closing \end{environment} and maybe even include markers for
arguments.

Cheers,  Phil Ratcliffe
In 1631, in June, this order was given by the General Court in Boston:

"That Philip Ratcliffe shall be whipped, have his eares cutt off, fined 40
pounds, and banished out of the limits of this jurisdiction, for uttering
malicious and scandalous speeches against the Government."

Governor Winthrop added to his account of this affair that Ratcliffe was
"convict of most foul slanderous invectives against our government."