[texhax] Accents

Philip G. Ratcliffe philip.ratcliffe at uninsubria.it
Thu May 8 15:16:43 CEST 2003

> I wrote a book in Italian. I used the following commands:
>
> \usepackage[italian]{babel}
> \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
>
> In my book sometimes I have something like:
>
> `What is your name?`
>
> The problem is that LaTex decides that `? is a special symbol,
> that is a question mark upside down (?!?).

As Hartmut suggested, anything like {} or \null or \strut (all print
nothing, but do get processed) between ? and ` will solve your problem.

Equally you could \def\endquote{`} but that might be a bit cumbersome
(though it does allow greater flexibility for later alterations).

However, I have a question: shouldn't you be using ' (and not `) to close
your quotations?  This mark would not cause such a problem.

Cheers,  Phil Ratcliffe