[texhax] Generating AFMs for Multiple Master Fonts

Plamen Tanovski pgt at arcor.de
Fri Jun 27 17:28:20 CEST 2003

Hi,

I'm trying to make afm files for MM without having the amfm files
and without ATM.

Here are my effords:

A MM file i.e. has the following defs

,----
| /BlendDesignPositions [[0 0] [1 0] [0 1] [1 1]] def
| /BlendDesignMap [[[250 0][700 1]][[6 0][11 0.50][18 0.75][72 1]]] def
| /BlendAxisTypes [/Weight /OpticalSize ] def
`----

With gs -- pf2afm.ps file.pfb I can make the afm for the default design
from the pfb and pfm files. This afm include also kern pairs. With mmpfb
I can make the instances for the master designs and with printafm
produce the afms for those instances. But the afm files lack the kerning
pairs. So I need a formula to calculate those kern pairs form the
default design afm.

I've read an article by Goossens/Rahtz about MM. They write:

,----[ tb48goos.pdf ]
|  [The weight vector] w_i allow the calculation of all needed parameters
| in an AFM file for a font instance. One reads each parameter value in
| turn in the [...] master design AFM files, applies the relevant
| weight, and the weighted sum thus obtained is the desired interpolated
| value of the given parameter for the font instance.
`----

But I do not have the master design afm files. I only have a afm file
for the default design. Is there any way based on the default design
metrics to calculate the kerning pairs for other instances?

Regards,
P.