[texhax] New fonts and TEX support

William Adams wadams at atlis.com
Tue Jun 24 18:08:26 CEST 2003

John Levon said:
>        I need to know how do we add TEX support for a new language. I have seen
>that many languages have been supported by TEX .

Look at Babel.

>[1] So if i want to add TEX support for a new language like nagamese
how do i do it ?

>[2] I don't even have the fonts for nagamese. I will have to design it
? What tools
>can i use ? Should i have to design the fonts in metafont ? Does
anything other then
>gnu fontutils help me ?

Normally it's written w/ Devanagari, for which fonts exist, though
there's supposed to be a system for writing it using Roman letterforms.

Creating unnecessary new scripts / accents is frowned upon these days in
linguistic circles---create an orthography which uses extant letterforms
(preferrably those which are easily available / acessible) w/
straightforward techniques for communicating special linguistic
requirements (say doubling letters).

William