I: [texhax] please help numbering equations

Rodolfo Medina romeomedina at libero.it
Tue Jun 17 22:47:02 CEST 2003

-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: texhax-bounces at tug.org [mailto:texhax-bounces at tug.org]Per conto di
Catalin AGHEORGHIESEI
Inviato: giovedì 5 giugno 2003 12.12
A: texhax at tug.org
Oggetto: [texhax] please help numbering equations

Hello everybody,

I use latex in my documents and I want to get the equations numbers
different on even/odd pages:

- for odd pages the equation number align on the right
- for even pages the equation number align on the left

If you know some macros and/or commands to make this please help.

Thank you,
  Catalin

I don't know how LaTeX would want you to do it,
but in plain TeX one could try to define a macro like this:
\def\eqnum{\ifodd\pageno\eqno\else\leqno\fi},
and use it this way:
$$E=mc^2\eqnum(57)$$
I've experimented it myself, and it seems to work,
except that at the beginning of a new page it sometimes failes.
Maybe some TeXperts can tell why?

Best,
Rodolfo

postmaster at tug.org