[texhax] subscripts in text mode

Manoj Kummini kummini at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 17 18:29:01 CEST 2003

 --- "W. J. Metzger" <wes at hef.kun.nl> wrote:
> From a quick try of all three methods, I could not detect any
> difference.
> Are there situations where there are differences making one of the
> methods
> superior?

See the following example:

\documentclass{article}

\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage{subscript}

\begin{document}
An ordinary statement$_\mathrm{with a subscript of many words and
unimaginable length can cause irritation to the eye and the mind of a
connoiseur}$.

An ordinary statement$_\text{with a subscript of many words and
unimaginable length can cause irritation to the eye and the mind of a
connoiseur}$.

An ordinary statement\textsubscript{with a subscript of many words
and
unimaginable length can cause irritation to the eye and the mind of a
connoiseur}.
\end{document}

With regards,
Manoj.