[texhax] subscripts in text mode

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jun 17 13:21:29 CEST 2003

> What is the accepted way of rendering subscripts in text mode?

there's a "fragment" on ctan macros/latex/contrib/fragments/subscript.sty
which was derived by editing the code of \textsuperscript to make a
\textsubscript command.

the fragment is intended for including in other peoples' packages, but
it's a free-standing package in its own right.

> I am trying something like XYZ$_{\mbox{ABCD}}$, but the subscripts are
> too large.

if you're  using amsmath, you can adapt this to be
XYZ$_{\text{ABCD}}$, but i would still prefer an aliased version of
\textsubscript, myself.