[texhax] reversed italics

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Jun 16 13:00:01 CEST 2003

> Can anyone suggest how I go about reversing the slant of italics, or know
> of a font which corresponds to this reversal?
>
> I'd like to do this because of the following text:
>
> ...the solid line represents the right hand side of the equation and the
> dashed line represents the left hand side of the equation...
>
> So I'd like to put the words `solid' and `right' in conventional italics,
> and put the words `dashed' and `left' in reversed italics. If you can
> think of another solution I'd be grateful.

i've encountered the odd font family whose italic design has a
negative slant, over the years.  but i've _never_ seen one that has
both a positive- and a negative-slant design.  so i doubt you'll be
able to achieve your result with a pair of "designed" italic fonts.

there's a /slantfont operator in the dvips stuff: i suggest using that
to produce +ve and -ve versions of an existing upright type 1 font.

i suggest a note to go with this piece of eccentricity, to request
that readers suspend their aesthetic sense before reading, too.