[texhax] units

W. J. Metzger wes at hef.kun.nl
Fri Jun 13 15:03:48 CEST 2003

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Robin Fairbairns wrote:

> > > For a more complete handling of units with correct spacing, compounding
> > > etc., check out the "SIunits" package, also on CTAN.
> >
> > Well, I am underimpressed.
> > Try \electronvolt.  The V really should be negatively kerned -- the space
> > between the e and the V is unsightly large.
> > Try \square\giga\electronvolt.  The square is applied to the G not to the
> > V, i.e., you get G^2eV rather than GeV^2.  To get it right you need to use
> > \giga\square\electronvolt, which does not read normally. What you would
> > say is giga-electronvolt-squared.
> > Further, it does not handle spacing.  One would like 5\meter  and
> > 5 \meter to produce the same thing.
>
> and you've sent a list of suggestions to the author?

Not yet.  I only just tried the package after its recommendation in the
suggested in the original posting, which as far as I am concerned would
have been its nicest feature.

> (fwiw, it's perfectly obvious why \square\giga\electronvolt doesn't
> do what you expect: try \square{\giga\electronvolt} ... it stands a
> better chance of making it through tex parsing.)

Of course.  However, one could have implemented it differently, I suppose.

Wes

--
Dr. W. J. Metzger            Experimental High Energy Physics Group
tel. +31-24-3653127          Faculty of Natural Sciences
e-mail:  wes at hef.kun.nl      or   W.Metzger at cern.ch
http://home.cern.ch/metzger/ or   http://www.hef.kun.nl/~wes