[texhax] How to create a Postscript Level 3 file?

Hartmut Henkel henkel at vh-s.de
Thu Jun 5 18:07:35 CEST 2003

We might have had similar problems here, when printing to an HP
DesignJet500 (without PostScript). I prepare a .pdf file, size A0, and
print this from Acroread 5.0.1 under Windows through the original
DesignJet printer driver. This comes out garbled (e. g. crazy factor 100
zoomed letters) when I set resolution to Final or Enhanced. But
everything works fine if I set to Draft mode! Boils down probably to
some memory overflow fault within the printer, might require additional
memory. But the Draft mode prints fine enough for a poster. If you have
this type of printer, you might play with the Quality switch in the
printer driver; maybe you find that it's not a PostScript problem at
all---and PS Level 3 should be backward compatible PS Level 2 anyway.

Good luck!

Hartmut