[texhax] TeX -> PostScript, but in a resolution-independent manner

Philip TAYLOR [PC336/H-XP] P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Thu Jun 5 10:36:13 CEST 2003

Robin Fairbairns wrote:

[snip]

> _really_?  i've never seen a pk font set at anything higher than
> 600dpi, and i wouldn't want to.  i typically print to a 1200dpi
> printer, and *never* use bitmaps on it.  i know there are fonts
> available only in metafont form, but i'm fortunate in not needing
> them.
>
> bitmap fonts were ok for the footling resolutions that knuth was
> dealing with in the 1970s, but we're miles away from that world, now:
> and who cares? -- xdvi rasterising type 1 fonts is adequately fast,
> even for my impatient eyes, and the rasterisers in printers are
> written by people whose only speciality it is.

When I was regularly generating TeX output for the Linotronic,
Robin, I had a full set of CM fonts (all seventy-whatever) at
1270 /and/ 2540 dpi...

** Phil.