[texhax] using epsf.tex

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jun 5 09:07:33 CEST 2003

> How does one use epsf.tex with 2e?
>
> I used epsf.tex with 2.09 to include EPS figures in LaTeX documents. Now
> with 2e I get an error message:
>
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> \@tempa ->\@nil
>
> l.398 ...s $e_1$, $e_2$, $z$ and signature $+-+$.}
>                                                   \label{f1}
>
> everytime I try to include an EPS picture. (In case it's not clear, the
> l.398 stuff is the end of the \caption call that follows the \epsffile call.
> Here's the relevant excerpt from jp3.tex:
>
> \begin{figure}
> \begin{center}
> \leavevmode
> \epsffile{./h3ppm_snt_tl3.eps}
> \caption{\small Geodesic surfaces in $H_3$ using exponential coordinates
> with axes $e_1$, $e_2$, $z$ and signature $+-+$.}\label{f1}
> \end{center}
> \end{figure}
>
> That's copied straight from files that worked with 2.09 long ago; I haven't
> needed this with 2e until now.)

you're plainly using some package other than graphics, that's made a
mess of your captions.  since you don't tell us what other packages
you're using, and since i don't recognise the error, i can't even
guess what's wrong beyond that.

> I assume the way to load epsf is:
>
> \usepackage{epsf}

yes, if you must.  far better to use the latex graphics (or graphicx)
package with 2e.

see http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=impgraph+dvipsgraphics

however, to get back to your question: reduce your document to a one
containing the above, but that still fails.  then the package at fault
will probably be obvious.  if it's still not obvious to you, post that
minimum document.  as you should have in the first place.

Robin Fairbairns

UK TeX FAQ maintainer

http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=maillists+askquestion