[texhax] Class file

doug waud douglas.waud at umassmed.edu
Wed Jun 4 20:50:53 CEST 2003

Hi

Christopher W. Ryan wrote

> However, that being said, most journal publishers in my field (medicine)

Ah! There's the problem!   :-)

> want
> to receive a paper manuscript (often along with an electronic file on
> disk) as the first step.
     snip snip
> Is there a "package" that will produce this sort of plain, basic,
> manuscript-for-submission output?

I faced this problem for years (I'm a Pharmacologist). I found the
program dvi2tty helpful here. It does a reasonable job of "detexing" a
TeX file. (As I wrote that last sentence, I recalled there is another
tool call "detex" that you might want to look into). Both are readily
available; try google if you can't find them on CTAN.

> Lastly, anyone know of any packages specifically for biomedical journals?
> Seems like most of them relate to physics, math, engineering.  Maybe
> this is a
> natural result of LaTeX's mathematical heritage.

The biologists are slow to see the light, even within publishing houses.
I was not able to get TIPS (Trends in Pharmacological Sciences) to go to
  TeX/LaTeX even though other journals in Elsevier's Trends series did
use  TeX.  :-)

doug

--
Douglas R Waud, Professor Emeritus -- Pharmacology
Mailing address: 17 Lantern Lane, Shrewsbury, MA 01545-2006