[texhax] TeX -> PostScript, but in a resolution-independent manner

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Jun 4 20:12:17 CEST 2003

    Are the scalable fonts always better than the bitmap
    fonts, or maybe I was wrong?

If you want precise control over every individual pixel that is printed,
like Knuth does for the Art of Computer Programming, then bitmap fonts
are useful :).

For the rest of us humans, scalable fonts are just about always better,
these days.

    least the practical reasons today are strongly in favour of PostScript.

Well, that's in your environment.  In other environments, PCL and other
languages are still used, really.  In ten or twenty more years, who
knows what new device language will be hot -- but I bet DVI will still
be around, and still be easily translatable to it.

    most of people I talked to haven't even heard what DVI is,
    not to mention supporting it.

DVI was never meant to be processed directly by printers.  It couldn't
be, because as I said before, it doesn't have glyph information.  So
admins who know about printers, but not about TeX, would have little
reason to have heard of it.

    Has Jeffrey Kingston really done a better job than Donald Knuth?

Nothing against Jeffrey, but that's a loaded question to ask on a TeX
mailing list :).  I don't know very much about lout, but as far as I
know there are many, many, many more TeX users than lout users.

    Donald Knuth, I started to realize how great he is in computer typesetting

Amen to that :).  As testimony, here we all still are talking about his
program *and using it*, 25 years later, in a computing world so
different from 1978.  And it is still going strong.  The fact that he
was able to devise something that has had such longevity is, to me,
truly amazing.