[texhax] Re: TeX-PS

Jan-Martin Wagner jmartin at j13.physik.uni-jena.de
Wed Jun 4 21:21:10 CEST 2003

> Can someone tell me the steps that are performed by the typesetting
> systems like TeX upto when it converts the output into postscript.
> What files are produced and in which sequence the programs like dvips
> looks for those files.
> i am interested in knowing the whole mechanism behind this.

Well, I can't tell you much about that, but as far as the first step
(*.tex --> *.dvi) is concerned, LaTeX tells you which files it reads.
For the font files I think the informations given by LaTeX are not
exhaustive, since there are the *.tfm and *.vf files around that --
as far as I understood -- make up what (La)TeX thinks of being the
font(s). On the other hand, most of them can be figured out from the
*.fd files used, which, in turn, can be figured out from the "Font
Info" given in the log file: After running, e.g., "latex abc.tex",
have a look at the contents of abc.log. The opening and closing
brackets "(", ")" show which messages, actions, and further file
(Since so far I don't use plain TeX, I can't tell you about its
way of telling about its actions.)

As for dvips, in the description of the -P option given on the man
page (or any equivalent) you find some hints on the config files that
it reads and in which order.

Maybe that helps to get a bit of an idea,

 Jan-Martin

  Dipl.-Phys. Jan-Martin Wagner

  Institut fuer Festkoerpertheorie   Tel.: + 49 - 36 41 - 94 71 67
  und Theoretische Optik,            Fax:      ...      - 94 71 52
  Fr.-Schiller-Universitaet Jena

  IFTO, Max-Wien-Platz 1,            jmw at ifto.physik.uni-jena.de
  D-07743 Jena, Germany              www.ifto.uni-jena.de/~jmartin