[texhax] TeX -> PostScript, but in a resolution-independent manner

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jun 4 22:29:12 CEST 2003

> Tomas G. Rokicki wrote:
>
> >Hmm, -Pcmz should do what you want.  How are you still getting bitmapped
> >fonts with the -Pcmz option?
> >
> I've made lots of different experiments, and I just found out, that with
> -Pcmz I'm getting bitmapped letters, but smooth \dots, which without the
> -Pcmz are also aliased, just like the letters. I haven't noticed that
> before, as I was using only letters and numbers, without any
> punctuation, but it shows that this switch works somehow, but I guess
> not quite like I it's supposed to. type1_default=true in
> /etc/texmf/dvips/updmap seems to have no effect at all, but -Pcmz switch
> in dvips makes the dots smooth.

so you're using t1 encoding?  or something polish?  i would favour the
latter, since you're seeing the dots (whatever you mean there) non-
fuzzy.  i guess you would see any mathematics non-fuzzy, too (and if
you mean "itemize bullets", you're using maths for them).

gust provides a good range of type 1 fonts for the polish alphabet,
but they're not the cm* things people have been talking about.