[texhax] Makeindex has problems with \baselineskip?

Rodolfo Medina romeomedina at libero.it
Wed Jun 4 18:38:17 CEST 2003

Hi, everyone.

I use plain TeX, and ``makeindex'' with the eplain commands.
I'd like my Index to be in ninepoint size with \baselineskip =10pt
instead of the default value 12pt;
but when I try to set down this value of \baselineskip=10pt
something strange happens:
the Index title is stretched over the entire first page,
whereas the Index itself is output away on the next page without title.
How can I work it out?

Thanks,
Rodolfo

P.S.: Before starting to use ``makeindex'' I wanted to create an Index by
myself,
as well as I did with the Table of Contents;
but I didn't manage because I don't know
how to make plain TeX put a list of words into alphabetical order:
in the TeXbook there's an example of how to produce an Index,
but apparently nothing is said about alphabetical order.
A hint about this matter?