[texhax] TeX-PS

William Adams wadams at atlis.com
Wed Jun 4 12:28:55 CEST 2003

You asked:
>Can someone tell me the steps that are performed by the typesetting
systems
>like TeX upto when it converts the output into postscript. What files
are
>produced and in which sequence the programs like dvips    looks for
those
>files.

I would suggest purchasing Don Knuth's wonderful book _Digital
Typography_ which is the most thoughtful overview on this sort of
background for TeX which I know of.

I've publication information on this in my web site in the bibliography
at http://members.aol.com/willadams (ob. discl. I'm an Amazon Associate
and may profit)

>i am interested in knowing the whole mechanism behind this.

In addition you should read _The TeXBook_ and TeX: The Program to get
all the details.

There's also quite a good manual on dvips which should be on
www.ctan.org or at the Radical Eye web site.

William