[texhax] \begin{...}...\end{...} VS. its shorthands

Andrew Mellanby mel at mcs.vuw.ac.nz
Wed Jun 4 10:48:32 CEST 2003

Jerrold Leichter wrote:

>| Using \begin{...}...\end{...} kills our time.
>| Is there any best way to save the time?
>Back when I started using LaTeX, I thought this, too.  So I defined a pair of
>macros, \B and \E.  \B is like \begin except it doesn't need the braces;
>\E closes the last-opened environment.  (Since LaTeX tells you if you type the

The big problem with using your home cooked macros to rename standard
macros is that when you come to share the LaTeX file with someone else,
you will have to remember to send them your macro definitions too.
Furthermore, if the person you send the file to has never seen your
macros before it's going to take a while for them to learn them before
they can effectively read your file ... therefore you end up wasting
their time instead.

The editor macros that create the the \begin{...} and \end{...} pairing
for you is a much better solution.

Andrew.