[texhax] $

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sat Jul 26 09:36:35 CEST 2003

> On 07/25/2003 at 03:35 PM, "Edgar G. Goodaire" <edgar at math.mun.ca>
>wrote:
> > I use emtex and for some time have noticed that I can no longer
> > print \$500 in paragraph mode, my system demands $ \$500 $.
> > Anybody have this experience?  Seems strange.
>
> Works OK on mine. Perhaps some file has become corrupted? A "reinstall" to
> refresh key files might help then.

i wonder if edgar has some other problem in his file, like an
unsuspected $ pair bracketing the \$500.  what error do you get,
edgar, when you do use \$ in a paragraph?

i seem to have destroyed my latex 2.09 format, but \$ certainly works
in both maths and text mode in both plain tex and latex 2e (where
there's special provision to deal with it in maths mode).  the worst i
can imagine is that \$ would produce the wrong character in 2.09
(even though it doesn't in plain).