[texhax] LaTeX hangs up with $(\ref{label})$ and [spanish]{babel}

Philip G. Ratcliffe philip.ratcliffe at uninsubria.it
Tue Jul 8 14:14:47 CEST 2003

> I have experienced an annoying behaviour of LaTeX.  When I use a reference
> inside math mode
> the TeX program hungs up without any error message.  I have reproduced the
> problem in the small document below.
> This happens when using  \usepackage[spanish]{babel} and after using
\chapter.

I suspect it has to do with the way the "spanish" package redefines "."
although I haven't time to delve any deeper.

> Is this a bug ?

At first sight, yes.  But check the documentation it may be mentioned
somewhere.

> It is not a problem, but if you do not know the reason why the program
> hungs up you cal lose quite a lot of time.

Why would you want \ref{...} inside a math environment anyway?  The problem
is easily solved by placing the \ref{...} inside an \mbox{}.

Cheers,  Phil