I NEED SOME SERIOUS BIBTEX HELP - HELP HELP

Dr. Tarynn M. Witten tmwitten at mail1.vcu.edu
Thu Feb 13 10:30:04 CET 2003

Hi Everyone:
I am writing a book and I have a very large number of references
(almost 1000). I have created a bibtex database and have gone through
it with a fine tooth comb. No matter what I do, I keep getting the
following BibTex error whenever I try to call Bibtex:

This is Big BibTeX version 0.99c
Implementation:  EMX/GNU C 32 bit for Win32
Release version: 3.71 (18 Aug 1996)

The top-level auxiliary file:
C:\pctexv4\MyAgingBook\LatexAgingBookStructure.aux
A level-1 auxilliary file: agingbook_master_macropak.aux
A level-1 auxilliary file: FontDefinitions.aux
A level-1 auxilliary file: Definitions.aux
A level-1 auxilliary file: TitlePage.aux
A level-1 auxilliary file: LegalPage.aux
The style file: plain.bst
Database file #1: allrefs.bib
 Illegal end of database file---line 38789 of file allrefs.bib
 : }
 :

I could really use some help with this because I cannot get all of the
references into the book. It stops at 100 references. The bibtex file
is called allrefs.bib and my code call for the bibliography within the
tex file of the book is

\bibliographystyle{plain}{9999}
\bibliography{allrefs}

I am running on PCTeX 4.0

The log file allrefs.log states the following:

PTITeX 3.4, (c) Personal TeX, Inc. 1985-1998
This is TeX 3.14159 (preloaded format=LATEX 3.1.4)  11 FEB 2003 17:27
**&LATEX C:/pctexv4/MyAgingBook/allrefs.bib
(C:\pctexv4\MyAgingBook\allrefs.bib
LaTeX2e <2001/06/01>
Babel <v3.7h> and hyphenation patterns for american, loaded.

! LaTeX Error: Missing \begin{document}.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.1 @
     preamble{ "\newcommand{\noopsort}[1]{} "
? x

Here is how much of TeX's memory you used:
 6 strings out of 845
 235 string characters out of 7711
 9801 words of memory out of 57344
 3024 multiletter control sequences out of 10000
 3640 words of font info for 14 fonts, out of 20000 for 255
 14 hyphenation exceptions out of 607
 5i,0n,4p,1b,14s stack positions out of 200i,40n,60p,5000b,600s
No pages of output.

What is interesting about the log file is the fact that the actual
database has no preamble code in it anywhere and there is no other
bibtex related code in the main program.

Thank you
Please direct responses to me at twitten at vcu.edu
Dr. Tarynn M. Witten, Ph.D., FGSA, FCSBC, MSW(c)
Senior Fellow and Director of Research and Development
Center for the Study of Biological Complexity
VCU Life Sciences, Academic Campus, Suite 111
1000 West Cary Street
P.O. Box 842030
Richmond, VA 23284-2030
(p) 804-827-7371