[texhax] chktex: false positives

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Dec 24 13:53:41 CET 2003

> I had a couple of questions re some of the warnings from chktex, and
> would appreciate any comments...
>
> o Italic correction
>
> chktex reports on the following LaTeX 2e italic correction issue:
>
> Warning 6 in interrupted.tex line 486: No italic correction (`\/') found.
> (\textit{sic}), but currently nothing in the core OS does this.}
>
> I believe that \textit automatically does italic correction, unlike
> \itshape, so I think this warning is incorrect?

i think you're right here, a priori.  what's the enclosing brace about
-- could that imply something i'm not recognising at the moment?

> o Punctuation in front of quotes
>
> chktex reports:
>
> Warning 38 in interrupted.tex line 572: You should not use punctuation
> in front of quotes.
> system will panic ``too many softcalls.''
>
> I thought this was normal practice; the punctuation looks better inside
> the quotes; this is how it often is seen in a published book, for example.

if you're american, you're right.  in europe, the tradition is
as chktex suggests, in my experience (it's certainly what i was taught
at school, back when schools taught this sort of thing...).