[texhax] trouble including EPS figure

W. J. Metzger wes at hef.kun.nl
Tue Aug 26 10:56:53 CEST 2003

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Christopher W. Ryan wrote:

> I know this topic has been done to death, but the information in the archives
> didn't solve my problem.
>
> I am running MikTex on Win98, using TextPad as editor for .tex file.
> using {graphics} package
>
> I drew Figure1 in OpenOffice.org 1.1RC1, and then exported it as EPS format
>
> I try to include the figure with the following lines in the .tex file:
>
> \begin{figure}[p]
>       \begin{center}
>               \includegraphics{Figure1.eps}
>       \end{center}
>               \caption{The temporal course of different types of headache}
>       \label{timegraphs1}
> \end{figure}
>
> I get the following message from LaTeX:
>
> "Cannot determine size of graphic in Figure1.eps (no BoundingBox)"
>
> Now, I don't know anything about Bounding Boxes.  But I did open my Figure1.eps
> in TextPad and found the following lines:
>
> Adobe-3.0 EPSF-3.0
> %%Pages: 0
> %%Creator: Sun Microsystems, Inc.
> %%Title: none
> %%CreationDate: none
> %%BoundingBox: 0 0 433 594
> %%LanguageLevel: 1
> %%EndComments
>
> So why doesn't LaTeX find the BoundingBox?  And how can I make it work?
>
> Thanks.

I'm no expert, but I notice that the first line in various eps files I have
is something like

%!PS-Adobe-2.0 EPSF-2.0

So you might try inserting %!PS- on the first line.

Good luck, Wes
--
Dr. W. J. Metzger            Experimental High Energy Physics Group
tel. +31-24-3653127          Faculty of Natural Sciences
e-mail:  wes at hef.kun.nl      or   W.Metzger at cern.ch
http://home.cern.ch/metzger/ or   http://www.hef.kun.nl/~wes