[texhax] \textwidth and \linewidth

Carsten Balleier balleier at physics.utoronto.ca
Wed Aug 13 20:32:06 CEST 2003

Hi,

I'm trying to typeset a document (article class) with given layout
parameters. Here my preamble (using letterpaper):

\hoffset0in
\oddsidemargin0.6in
\evensidemargin0.1in
\textwidth5.8in
\marginparsep0in
\marginparwidth0in
\marginparpush0in

I've also tried the geometry and typearea packages with equivalent
parameters. But in all cases, the typeset/printed lines were shorter
than 5.8". Even in normal text (no environment), \linewidth is shorter
than \textwidth. Going the brutal way and changing \linewidth directly
affected (as expected) list and quote environments, but didn't change
the width of the main text. Checking the file article.cls, I found out
that it doesn't refer anywhere to \linewidth.
Therefore: can anyone tell me
1. how to specify a precise linewidth for the main text?
2. Or at least, which length is responsible for the width of the main
	text in article class, if neither \text- nor \linewidth?

I'm using teTeX as distributed with SuSE.

Thanks for any hints,
Carsten

--
U.S. forces detained a man with a ruler, protractor, set square and
calculator to prove Iraq has weapons of math instruction.