font problems with new TEX installation

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jan 2 18:05:03 CET 2002

> I've installed a new version of Tex on the systems here for
> the first time in about 10 years.   Documents which previously
> processed OK, now produce errors like this:-)
>
> ! Font OT1/cmr/m/n/10.95=cmr10 at 10.95pt not loadable:
> Metric (TFM) file not found.
>
>   What does this mean?

it means exactly what it says.  what's interesting is _why_ it can't
find it.

> I'm an amateur at this and there
> doesn't seem to be enough info around to find what the
> real problem is.  The TEX directory, for example, contains
> a file called "cmr10.tfm", which is identical to the file of the
> same name in the old TEX installation which works.

it's probably an indexing problem.  if your old systems were that old,
they likely didn't use an index; modern systems use variants of ls-R
files as a sort of simple-minded database of the files available.
modern systems _don't_ therefore look up files in directories.

>   Anybody any idea what I should be doing next to
> sort this out?

tell us what systems you're talking about --- the answer is different
for different systems.

if it's tetex-based, you may get some help from
http://ctan.tug.org/installationadvice/ (though be aware that this
page isn't deemed quite "ready" yet)