[texdoc] [tex-live] catalogue metadata usage in texdoc

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Tue Jan 3 21:41:05 CET 2012

Le 28/12/2011 04:09, Joachim Schrod a écrit :
> Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
>
>>   texdoc debug-score: Start scoring /usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/doc/generic/vntex/vntex.pdf
>>   texdoc debug-score: Catalogue details bonus: +1.5
>
> Is there any real-world data when catalogue details are wrong?
> (Not: wrong as in not available. But: Wrong as in Available but
> incorrect.)

Not that I'm aware of.

> Why is the bonus just +1.5 and not more?

See this thread: http://tug.org/pipermail/texdoc/2011q4/000291.html for why I
made it only +1.5 (it was bigger before). Of course, the proper fix would be for
texdoc to have a proper notion of package, which is planned but may require some
work.

> Tonight, I had a CTAN work dinner and we had exactly that
> discussion. I'm on record (there have been witnesses :-) to make
> the bold statement "Robin is just too good. The catalogue meta-data
> concerning available documentation can be relied upon. In practice,
> it doesn't produce false positives." Am I wrong?

Basically, no. But the varying availablity of metadata combined with texdoc's
current imperfect scoring algorithm did happen to produce false positives.

Manuel.