[texdoc] Localized package manuals

Philipp Stephani st_philipp at yahoo.de
Mon Apr 4 19:04:25 CEST 2011

Am 03.04.2011 um 22:51 schrieb Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard:

>> Drawbacks: it requires a valid LANG environment variable which is
>> certainly not present everywhere (reliable detection of the current language
>> would require a C extension),
>
> One note about implementation : checking LANG for each file to score doesn't
> look right to me. I'd rather do this check once at initialisation. Probably the
> best way is to create a 'lang' configuration entry, which could be set either
> from the LANG variable, or from the config file (like the viewer settings for
> example). This way, people without a valid LANG variable (which probably
> includes all windows users) could set it manually.
>
> Would you like to change your patch in this direction?

OK, I've modified the patch so that it uses a "lang" configuration entry; it also uses the os.setlocale function which might be a bit more reliable.

>> it doesn't work with aliases,
>
> I must admit I'm not sure how it should interact with aliases.

For example, "texdoc koma" should result in "scrguide.pdf" on German systems. This would require another patch to the aliasing system so that aliases like "koma-de" are tested automatically.