[texdoc] texdoc within texdoctk

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Fri Apr 2 18:25:32 CEST 2010

Hi,

I'm aware that some users prefer graphical interfaces, and I've been wanting to
make one to texdoc for a long time (I know there already is such an interface on
the Mac, thanks to Adam). I have big plans for a great "TeX documentation
centre" later, but since I don't have enough time to work on it now, here is a
temporary thing.

Texdoctk already provides a GUI with a search button, but it searches only the
internal database of texdoctk, which is not exhaustive (and unmaintained). I
decided to add a second search button using texdoc as the back-end. For the sake
of both my own laziness and consistence of the user interface, I re-used
texdoctk mechanisms as much as possible. So, this feature was surprisingly easy
to implement.

This is my first contact with Perl/Tk programming (well, with GUI programming in
general), so I'd like it to be tested a bit more before I push the change to TeX
Live. The file is attached, just run "perl texdoctk.pl", it doesn't need to be
located in a texmf tree. Feedback and suggestions about this feature are most
welcome!

Also, I don't want to make big changes to texdoctk, but if you have suggestions
for improvement that wouldn't require too much coding or too big changes in the
code logic, I'd be happy to hear about them. (Also if you want to suggest bigger
changes, I'll add them to my incubation list for TeX documentation centre.)

Finally, if one of you doc-interested people wants to update texdoctk's database
for TL2010, you're welcome. In the long run, I don't think this database is a
viable approach, but while waiting for something better... I'm checking nightly
that the files referenced all exist in TeX Live, but I probably won't do a big
update to the database myself.

Manuel.