[texdoc] diagnostics

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Tue Feb 23 01:05:31 CET 2010

Karl Berry a écrit :
>     Because evince is in the PATH. If it cannot detect a know desktop
>     environment (Gnome, KDE, XFCE) texdoc sequentially checks for known
>     viewers in the PATH and picks the first one found. evince happens to
>     come before xdvi in this list.
>
> I don't follow that logic.  I think if no desktop environment is found,
> texdoc -- being a TeX Live program -- should fall back to xdvi (dviout
> on Windows), as the "generic" DVI viewer that is most likely to be
> present and working.

Concerning windows, texdoc is using "start" for anything but text (because start
is confused by files without extension), and I think it is the right thing. Same
for OS X with "open".

For non-OS X Unix, maybe I should put xdvi first in the list indeed. I'll keep
checking for other programs in case xdvi is not found for some reason. Anyway,
most documentation is in pdf (and the rest will soon be if Philipp keeps going),
and for pdf I have no other choice than checking in the path. So, the order of
dvi viewers probably doesn't matter that much.

>     I think the idea behind that was that xdvi is installed by default,
>     but not evince, so if evince is installed, it is likely to be a
>     conscious choice, so maybe it means the users prefers it...
>
> No, that's not the case.  At least not for me.  What's installed on the
> system doesn't really say anything about what a particular user likes.

Sure, I just wanted to explain what I had in mind when I did the list (I was
obviously thinking about single-user machines at this point).

Manuel.